- Baguette or crusty long loaf bread, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, 2 minced, 1 set aside
- Pint of tomatoes, halved, seeded and chopped ( I used a variety pack for more color)
- Good handful of fresh basil leaves (about 1/3 cup)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.) Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush a bit of olive oil on each slice. Toast in oven for about 3-5 minutes or until light golden brown. After the bread is removed from the oven, rub a sliced clove of garlic on the toasted side of each slice of bread. Set bread aside.
3.) Place the seeded and chopped tomatoes in a bowl, add the minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, a good drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Use a good quality, coarse salt – a kosher or even better, maldon sea salt. It does wonders for the tomatoes.
4.) Pile basil leaves on top of one another and roll into a log. Thinly slice basil into green confetti and loosely combine with the tomato mixture.
5.) Gently combine all of the ingredients. Place your toasts around the bowl of tomato topping. Place a spoon to scoop topping in bowl and serve.
Try tomato bruschetta for your next party with a variety of other bruschetta toppings. We also like white bean with rosemary.