Quinoa Salad with Black Beans
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, drained
- 3 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Feta cheese, cut into small cubes
1.) Prepare your quinoa to the package directions. Rinse before cooking. Once cooked, drain and set aside to cool.
2.) Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3.) Stir in the roasted red peppers, ancho chili powder and cumin and salt.
4.) Remove the mixture from heat, place in a large bowl and let stand to cool.
5.) Once your onion mixture is cool, add the black beans, ¼ cup of the cilantro and quinoa.
6.) Just prior to serving sprinkle in the remaining ¼ cup of cilantro and feta cheese. This dish is served at room temperature. Taste again, season with salt and pepper as needed.