Breast Cancer Awareness Cupcake
Recently, when on my way to check the mail, I was pleasently surprised to find a package waiting at the front door. Had I purchased something online and forgot about it? Was it a package for my husband or possibly something for the kids? After careful review of the box, I came to realize it was from POM Wonderful. POM Wonderful had written LifeWithCake a week ago asking if we would enjoy a care package of their POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice, to which we replied – heck yeah! We rarely will pass up anything free.
Now, I have tried POM before, mainly for its health benefits, but I have never enjoyed “cooking” with it. This is our mission – to find some interesting and unique ways to incorporate POM Wonderful into some tasty dishes and drinks. The first being our Breast Cancer Awareness Cupcake, the Perfectly Pink POM Cupcake.
Along with the juice samples, the people at POM kindly included some interesting information regarding the health benefits of POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice.
Did You know?
- Only POM Wonderful products are backed by $32 million in medical research.
- POM Wonderful is the only brand to contain 100% authentic pomegranate juice.
- POM Wonderful grows, picks, and squeezes their own fruit along with manufacturing their own bottles.
- All Pomegranate orchards are located in sunny California. Their juice is never imported.
- POM juice is the only juice to be made exclusively from the “Wonderful” variety pomegranate.
- The “Wonderful” variety is known for its deep crimson color, delicious taste, and most importantly its unique combination of super antioxidants.
- Hundreds of scientific tests show POM to be a superior source of antioxidants, with more and better antioxidants than red wine, grape juice, blueberry juice, cranberry juice, green tea, vitamin C and Vitamin E. That is something to drink to indeed!
These are just a sample of facts about POM Wonderful 100% juice. More health information along with recipes and products can be found at their website POM Wonderful.
To create the Perfectly Pink POM Cupcake to support Breast Cancer Awareness, I looked through countless recipes on the internet, trying to find one that captured that clean delicious pomegrante taste. Most comments left about pomegranate cupcakes said basically the same thing, ”good tasting but not much like pomegranate”.
I decided to cheat a bit with this cupcake by using a store bought cake mix. This allowed me to maxamize my use of POM Wonderful by omitting the water and replacing it with POM Wonderful. The result was a moist sweet cupcake with the tang and distinct flavor of pomegranate.
Of course, I couldn’t leave it at cake alone, I whipped up a pomegranate buttercream by making a classic buttercream and using POM Wonderful in place of milk. The POM Wonderful gave the frosting a light pomegranate flavor and a beautiful pink hue.
October being Breast Cancer Awarness Month, along with the health benefits associated with POM Wonderful, prompted me to top this cupcake with a pink ribbon made of fondant – The Perfectly Pink POM Cupcake is born.
I want to say thank you to Kristen Cavanaugh for the genorous gift of POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice! Megan and I are tickled PINK. We will continue to use your products in good health! We are now working on a POM Wonderful martini to celebrate.
Breast Cancer Awareness Cupcake
(aka Perfectly Pink POM Cupcake)
- 1 box white cake mix
- POM Wonderful juice
Follow box directions omitting water and replacing with POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice.
Pink Pomegranate Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted room temperature butter
- 1/2 pound powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice
1.) Whip butter until smooth.
2.) Slowly add powdered sugar.
3.) When the mixture becomes to stiff, add POM Wonderful. Then add remaining powdered sugar and blend until smooth.